Several people have asked me for advice about education and training in Analytics and Data Science, so I wrote this article. For our purpose here, I include Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science degree program, certificate, training, and certification programs. This information is readily available on the internet, but I have picked some of my favorites here–so the list is not all inclusive. I am not affiliate with any of these programs other than as a guest speaker.
Online Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science Degree Programs
- Northwestern University Online Master of Science in Predictive Analytics, prepares students to meet the growing demand for data-driven leadership and problem solving.
- Berkeley Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS), small class sizes, but high tuition
- Central Connecticut State University (CCSU), exploring cutting-edge data mining techniques and Applications, first completely online MS in Data Mining.
- DePaul MS in Predictive Analytics, addresses the growing demand of data scientists that have the right blend of technical and analytical skills to meet the challenge of big data analytics.
- EIUBS: Europe Innovation Business School offers online courses in Business Analytics and data analytics.
- Georgia Southern University online MS in Computer Science, with a concentration in Data Mining and Data Warehousing.
- Harrisburg University Online MS in Analytics, the 12 course program is designed for working professionals who need to balance the demands of work, home, and study.
- Lewis University online, 36 credit hour MS in Data Science, offers two concentrations: Data Science for Computer Scientists and Data Science for Life Scientists.
Online Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science Certificates
- JHU Data Science Specialization, Coursera
- Indiana University Online Data Science Program, leads to a Certificate in Data Science.
- Oklahoma State University Online Graduate Data Mining Certificate Program.
- Stanford CPD Data Mining and Applications Graduate Certificate, 3 courses.
- Stanford CPD Mining Massive Data Sets Graduate Certificate, 4 Courses.
- Statistics.com Certificate Programs in Analytics and Statistical Studies (PASS)
- UCI: U. of California, Irvine Extension, Predictive Analytics Certificate Program, a comprehensive online program.
- University of Louisville Graduate Certificate in Data Mining, completed online in 12 months.
- U. of Wisconsin Milwaukee Online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics
- UW (University of Washington) Certificate in Data Science, classroom or online format.
- Villanova University CPBI (Certified Professional in Business Intelligence) certification, online
Online Courses and resources in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science and related topics
- Data Society,Online Interactive Data Science Courses
- Coursera, the leader in online education
- Big Data University, offering online classes on Hadoop and DB2
- Caltech Learning from Data, taught by Prof. Yaser Abu Mostafa, free, take at your own pace
- Class Central Data Science and Big Data courses from top universities like Stanford, MIT, and Harvard
- CMU Open Learning Initiative, offers online courses to anyone who wants to learn or teach
- LearnAnalytics India, delivering SAS and Advanced Analytics trainings online and offline.
- MIT OpenCourseWare : Data Mining, features XLMiner tools, designed by the instructor, Nitin Patel. Also many other relevant courses in MIT OpenCourseWare.
- OpenClassroom Machine Learning Course, by Andrew Ng.
- Statistics.com, offering many on-line short courses in statistics, data mining, and data science.
- Certified Analytics Professional from INFORMS.
- Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP): Data Scientist
- Columbia Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences, 4 courses, on campus, New York, NY.
- Digital Analytics Association Web Analyst Certification Program(tm)
Jeffrey Strickland, Ph.D.
Jeffrey Strickland, Ph.D., is the Author of “Predictive Analytics Using R” and a Senior Analytics Scientist with Clarity Solution Group. He has performed predictive modeling, simulation and analysis for the Department of Defense, NASA, the Missile Defense Agency, and the Financial and Insurance Industries for over 20 years. Jeff is a Certified Modeling and Simulation professional (CMSP) and an Associate Systems Engineering Professional. He has published nearly 200 blogs on LinkedIn, is also a frequently invited guest speaker and the author of 20 books including:
- Discrete Event simulation using ExtendSim
- Crime Analysis and Mapping
- Missile Flight Simulation
- Mathematical modeling of Warfare and Combat Phenomenon
- Predictive Modeling and Analytics
- Using Math to Defeat the Enemy
- Verification and Validation for Modeling and Simulation
- Simulation Conceptual Modeling
- System Engineering Process and Practices
- Weird Scientist: the Creators of Quantum Physics
- Albert Einstein: No one expected me to lay a golden eggs
- The Men of Manhattan: the Creators of the Nuclear Era
- Fundamentals of Combat Modeling